You have all probably heard about the rise of ransomware attacks on the news. Stories about businesses, schools, municipalities and even hospitals being attacked are all over the media these days. If you are starting to be concerned then you are not alone. These attacks are indeed something to be concerned about. Below you will find some statistics on the threat as well as the most effective means to protect yourself and your assets.
Things you should know about Ransomware Attacks
- A new business will fall victim to a ransomware attack every 14 seconds in 2019. In 2021, that number will be every 11 seconds – KnowBe4
- Ransomware attacks have increased by 97% since 2017 – AttackIQ
- 34% of those affected took a week if not more to restore full access, up from 29% in 2016 – Kaspersky
- Ransomware generates over $25 million in revenue for hackers each year – Business Insider
- The NotPetya ransomware attack cost FedEx $300 million in Q1 2017 – Reuters
As these statistics clearly show, ransomware is a serious threat to organizations and businesses all over the world and the need for awareness and understanding of the threat is at an all-time high.
“Ransomware still uses social engineering as its main infection vector,” says KnowBe4’s Sjouwerman.
91% of all cyber-attacks begin with a spear-phishing email. This is why it is critical to train your staff about what spear-phishing is and how to avoid malicious emails. Vintage IT Services offers a Phishing Email Campaign as a service to help you do exactly that. We even use the tool internally because EVERYONE needs to be prepared for this growing threat.
Cybersecurity Ventures predicts cybercrime will cost the world in excess of $6 trillion annually by 2021, up from $3 trillion in 2015.
Training your employees and having a legitimate, offsite, secure backup of your data are the two best methods of protecting your assets from cybercrimes like ransomware.
Vintage IT Services can help you with both of these solutions as well as making sure that your network is protected from the forms of cyber-attack other than just spear phishing. We offer an extensive line of security solutions from the Spear Phishing Campaign to Intrusion Detection to help secure your networks.